The Terlingua quicksilver district is a narrow, east-west area about 20 miles long, in the southern part of the Big Bend region of southwestern Texas. The cinnabar deposit was discovered by Comanche Native Americans, who used it for war-paint and petroglyphs. Commercial exploitation began in 1888, when Jack Dawson extracted the first Terlingua quicksilver. The area produced more than 150,000 flasks of mercury (5.2 million kg).
The mines are the type-locality of a suite of rare mercury minerals
No events have been recorded in the history log so far. Be the first to create one.